The holidays are upon us and it’s easy to get overwhelmed by the thought of gift giving. But if you stick with the idea that it’s the thought that counts, it’s pretty easy to come up with gifts that you can make or buy that won’t break the bank but will put a smile on faces. And you don’t have to be super crafty or creative to pull off these DIY suggestions. Happy holidays!
Here are some thoughtful gifts for the party host or friends. Most of these are fun for kids to try, too:
- Infused olive oil makings: Give the ingredients to make infused oil, without actually infusing it ahead of time. You can tie the recipe and a cute bag of the needed ingredients around the top of a bottle of olive oil.
- Cookies in a jiffy: Mix the dry ingredients of your favorite cookie recipe together in a bag with a bow. Tie the recipe to the bag and note what needs to be added.
- Homemade bath salts: Try mixing 3 cups coarse sea salt with 1.5 cups Epsom salts and 1/2 cup baking soda. Then add several drops of essential oils for your desired scent. We recommend lavender, peppermint, rose or eucalyptus. Double or triple the recipe and pour into small jars to give as gifts. For an extra touch, deliver your bath salts with a candle for guaranteed user relaxation.
- Homemade spice mixes and rubs: Mix up your favorite spice combination—herbes de provence, Italian spices, Cajun spice mix, BBQ steak rub—pour it into a spice jar and attach the recipe to the top of the jar.
- All you have to do is tie a ribbon around a few bars of yummy chocolate and we promise you can never go wrong with this as a gift.
- Homemade candles: All you need are sheets of beeswax and string. If the beeswax isn’t precut, cut a piece to your desired height and size of candle. Cut your wick just a bit longer than the length of the wax. Place it in a corner of the wax and roll the candle up, making sure to have a piece of wick standout at the top.