Moroccan Inspired Vegetables Medley with Corn Bread
Fall flavors with fruity notes, a hint of cinnamon and a bit sweet. The cornbread is savory but delicious, moist even though it’s vegan.
- 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1-2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 16 small shallots, peeled and left whole (regular shallots work fine, cut them into ¼ inch pieces)
- 2 cups of butternut squash
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into ¼ inch rounds
- 3/4 cups pitted prunes
- 2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- Cilantro roughly chopped
- Fresh mint leaves, chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based casserole dish, add cinnamon.
- Toss in shallots and let them cook for 2-3 minutes.
- When shallots begin to color add in the butternut squash and carrots.
- Saute for 3-4 minutes, stirring and then add in the prunes and maple syrup.
- Pour in stock and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and cook for about 25-30 minutes.
- Uncover and cook for another 5-10 minutes to reduce the liquid. The vegetables should be tender in a syrupy sauce.
- Sprinkle vegetables with cilantro and mint and serve with GF cornbread.
Corn Bread Ingredients: (GF/Dairy Free/Vegan)
- 1 cup of cornmeal (coarse)
- 1 cup of Simple Truth Organic GF Cornbread Mix
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup soy milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp Pumpkin Puree
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a 9-inch cast iron pan. Set Aside.
- Put the cornmeal, GF cornbread mix, baking powder, salt in a large bowl.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Pour batter into the cast iron pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown on top and the center is cooked through.
- Serve with the Moroccan Vegetable Medley