1 – whole 4-pound chicken
3 cups – Santa Fe style green chile sauce
16 – corn tortillas
4– 5 cups – Monterey jack cheese (grated)
1. Place chicken in a pot covered with cold water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and skim the “scum” from the top of the pan. Cook for approximately 30 to 45 minutes or until cooked through. Allow the chicken to cool slightly before moving the meat from the bones.
2. Make Santa Fe style green chili sauce.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and begin assembling the casserole by spreading a thin layer of green chili sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch pan.
4. Next add a layer of tortillas, completely covering the green chili sauce, and then add a thin layer of chicken, another layer of green chili sauce, and a layer of cheese.
5. Repeat layers, ending with cheese.
6. Bake for approximately 20 to 30 minutes or until the casserole is heated through.