- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt (more if needed)
- 3/4 cup grapeseed oil, canola or olive oil
- Optional: Add 1 garlic clove minced and use olive oil to make this an aioli versus mayonnaise.
Use this recipe to make homemade mayonnaise or aioli sauce. And then add other ingredients to enhance the flavor.
Add ingredients up to oil together. Blend. Slowly whisk in one-quarter cup oil, dribbling a bit at a time as you whisk. Then continue to slowly stir in the rest of the oil. This is the process of emulsifying the oil into the mix to give the mayo its fluffy texture.
More than mayo. Consider adding these ingredient mixes to your mayo:
- Plain yogurt, chili peppers and cilantro
- Dijon mustard and fresh chopped dill
- Chives, garlic, black pepper to taste
- Sriracha and lime juice