- 1 1/2 pounds room temp butter
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 7 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Optional: 1 tbsp cardamom
- 5 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 corn syrup or honey
- 3-4 oz of pasteurized egg whites
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Cream butter and sugar for 1 minute until mixture starts to lighten, Add eggs one by one, followed with vanilla.
- Mix flour and salt together, add cardamom if using.
- Mix until dough comes together and chill for 1 hour
- Using cookie cutters of choice roll until 1/4 inches thick
- Bake at 325°F for 5-7 minutes until slightly golden around edges. Let cool completely before decorating.
*An electric mixing bowl works best.
- Put sugar, and corn syrup or honey in a bowl, add vanilla. Mix on low. Steam in egg whites. Mix until thick and shiny, adding more egg white until desired consistency. You want to be able to dip the cookie without the icing running off the cookie.
- Add gel paste food color of choice.
- Dip cookies face down in icing, and lift to let icing run off. Hold horizontally and lightly scrape size of bowl, smoothing the icing so that only the top is coated.
- Lay face up to dry, usually takes a couple hours. When dry you can paint the cookies.
Painting the cookies…
- Using gel pastes of choice, and a little pasteurized egg white make your paint. You can thin with a little water. I just grab a plate from the cabinet and use it as a palette. Thin with a little water if needed.
- Before the paint is dry on the cookies, dip your brush in the dust and drag it over the cookie surface. It doesn’t work to mix it into the paint quite as well.