- 1 cup all natural smooth peanut butter or almond butter — make sure you have fully stirred the nut butter (the oil naturally separates from the ground nuts and needs to be smoothly integrated) — this will assist in avoiding oily runoff
- 1 large ripe banana – make sure it is fresh and not frozen
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbsp pure maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 cup quality dark chocolate chips, plus a few more for topping
- Heat oven to 325 F.
- Using a simple hand mixer, food processor or blender, mix together peanut butter, banana and vanilla until relatively smooth (little banana lumps are fine).
- Add egg and maple syrup or honey and mix just to combine.
- Mix in dark chocolate chips by hand with the help of a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Place mixture in fridge for about 20 minutes to allow it to firm slightly.
- Place parchment paper over a baking sheet and gently brush or spray the paper with olive oil.
- Drop peanut butter cookies onto sheet by rounded tablespoons allowing room between the cookies (they will expand and puff up somewhat). Add another chip or two to the top of each cookie.
- Place cookies in oven and bake for 15 – 20 minutes until the undersides are lightly brown and the exterior is just firm to the touch.
- Remove from oven and allow cookies to cool on a rack for a few minutes before enjoying!
* We found this recipe on the Inspired Edibles blog!