- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable stock (water or chicken stock can also be used)
- 1/4 cup + 2 teaspoons divided extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ume plum vinegar
- 2 leeks sliced or 1/2 cup pearl onions skins removed and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup red pepper diced
- 1/4 cup shaved fennel
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds toasted
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds toasted
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 strip of bacon
Rinse the quinoa and add to pot with 2 cups of stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover pot and cook for approximately 16 minutes. When quinoa is done remove from heat and let sit. Once it has cooled, use a fork to fluff the quinoa.
Place quinoa in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil and ume plum vinegar. Stir.
Place 1 teaspoon olive oil in a skillet. Saute leeks or onion, garlic, red pepper and fennel together for just a few minutes, until just tender. Fold into the quinoa.
Place up to 1 teaspoon of olive oil in the same skillet and add almonds and pumpkin seeds. Cook on low to medium high heat until they appear lightly toasted or tanned. Almonds and pumpkin seeds could also be placed in a toaster oven or on a cookie sheet and heated in the oven at approximately 325 degrees Fahrenheit until they are toasted.
Add nuts to quinoa. Stir. Add cilantro and stir.
Additional Add-Ons: Add 1 strip of chopped bacon.