- 1/2 head of the auliflower, cut into large chunks
- 1/2 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 c extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp ground sumac*, plus more to serve
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 c chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 c packed chopped fresh mint
- 1 large fennel bulb, finely diced
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cucumbers, preferably Lebanese, chopped
- 8 okra pods, sliced crosswise
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 8 oz tomatoes, chopped into large dice
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp white sesame seeds, toasted
- In a food processor, process cauliflower until it resembles coarse grains. To make dressing, whisk together lemon juice, oil, garlic, sumac, and cumin. Set aside.
- In a large serving bowl, combine cauliflower with parsley, mint, fennel, onion, cucumbers, okra, carrot, and tomatoes.
- Mix in dressing, season with salt and pepper, and let marinate for 10 minutes.
- To serve, sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and a little sumac. Serve at once.
*Sumac comes from the berries of a decorative bush growing wild in the Middle East and parts of Italy. More commonly sold in its ground form, it has a fruity and astringent flavor.